Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pasta con le lenticchie

You either love or hate lentils. I used to hate them and turned my nose up at them when I lived in Ireland. Called them "foreign food" then I came to Italy and ate this dish! This is a staple in my home and all of us love it! I always make a big pot, enough to feed an army I think to myself, but after dinner time the pot is clean. I think the Other Half may actually lick it but I'm not sure.......anyway...this is a soup/pasta dish that I make at least once a week and it never grows old and boring because its one of the best pasta dishes there is!  Remember to soak the lentils overnight. And serve with crunchy fresh bread! Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

2-3 sprigs parsley
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 liter of vegetable broth
200 g chopped tomatoes or tinned tomatoes
100 g dried red lentils
salt
100 g of pasta tubes or mixed pasta. I use broken spaghetti
pepper

  1. Wash the parsley, select the leaves and chop finely with the crescent on a cutting board.
  2. Put oil in a pan, along with the peeled and finely chopped onion and garlic cloves, do not crush the cloves. Bring on the heat and allow to brown over medium heat. Combine a few tablespoons of broth and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add salt.
  3. Add the tomatoes, stir, then add the lentils, a spoonful of chopped parsley, stir and bring to the boil.
  4. Add the hot broth, a pinch of salt, reduce heat and simmer for an hour covered, stirring occasionally.
  5. After the cooking time the lentils should be nice and soft.
  6. At this point, raise the heat, add the pasta and cook for the time indicated on the package.
  7. Drizzle with a little olive oil, grated pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment